Thursday, January 12, 2012

The recovery week

Recovery weeks have a tendency to make me a little nervous. I'm not sure why, they seem like they would be the easiest weeks to get through. I guess one reason for me is in general, the recovery week is when I tend to get sick or get a really flat feeling, or even start to lose some motivation.

I'm right in the middle of a recovery week now and I guess weather wise it came at a good time. I know some folks who use nature to dictate a recovery week. Seems a little dicey to me. Other folks take their recovery weeks completely off - as in not touching a bike at all. I definitely don't think this would work well for me for sure, but who knows.

Anyway, I've been just rolling through this week taking it mostly easy and keeping it unstructured. Just riding to work mostly and doing a couple efforts here and there just to see what my legs feel like. It always seems like there's a delayed reaction after a really hard week, as in Monday I felt great. It felt like I could keep on rolling after the weekend, but by Tuesday, my legs felt pretty smoked.

I like to keep some intensity during a recovery week. I mostly cut the training stress by cutting back the volume. I'm still feeling some fatigue today, but mainly when I first start into a ride. After that everything feels good. Hopefully the weather will cooperate on Sunday so I can do some testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment