Friday, January 13, 2012

I'm one lucky guy.....

I was riding my bike to work the other day, and my mind just started to wander like it normally does when I'm riding by myself. It's amazing how you can come up with ideas or solve problems or just come up with some really random thoughts and theories when you're riding around on a bicycle.

Anyway, I was thinking about things, and I had an epiphany: I'm one lucky guy. First things first, I have the most amazing wife ever. I could go on and on about how great she is and list all the ways, but with this blog being a bicycle related blog, I'll just keep it to how not only does she support my silly hobby/habit, she encourages it as well. It takes a lot of compromise on her part when I go off on a long 6 hour Saturday ride or a 3 day weekend bike race.

So many little bike related items I use on a daily basis she got for me as gifts. Most of the things I'm too much of a cheapskate to actually go out and purchase. I typically will use something until it should have been replaced months or years ago. It's nice to always have someone looking out for me like that. She makes me all kinds of food for riding and meals pretty much every day.

I think one of the keys to reaching your full potential in bicycle racing is having full support of your spouse and family, and I definitely have that. So as I was riding to work with my toasty new gloves that my wife got me for Christmas, and sipping on my beet juice that she made, I realized I had it made.

The fact that I've somehow managed to take something I have a passion for, and actually participate every day and make a living doing it, really is like winning the lottery. I would much rather ride my bike to work than drive. My route to work is pretty cool. I'm really pretty fortunate to have good roads to ride and train on with all types of terrain, plus other places an hour or two away if I want something different. There's also plenty of people to ride with as well as rival race teams to keep me motivated.

It's nice to have a job which I truly enjoy. I've worked in the bicycle industry for a long time, and I can't think of anything else I would want to do. I also race on an awesome race team with great team mates that are a blast to ride and race with. Pretty stoked for the upcoming road season.
So, basically all of these things went through my mind on my ride in the other day, and I realized.......I'm one lucky guy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment