Monday, January 16, 2012

Product review: Powertap G3 hub and Joule 2.0 computer

I've been using cyclops powertaps for over 6 years now. I started with an old wired SL, then went to a wireless SL+. The SL+ was starting to get old. It worked fine, but had over 25,000 miles on it, so I figured it was time for something new.

There's a lot of choices for power meters these days. I considered getting a quarq, but in the end, I went with the new Powertap G3. Why? Well a few reasons. First off, price wise, for me, the G3 was less than half the cost,and that's for a complete wheel set. Also, my Caad 10 uses a BB30 system and my TT bike is conventional. I also like to use a shorter crank on my TT bike. I've also been very pleased with the customer support from Powertap.

The G3 has to use a different ANT+ computer than the old little yellow head unit. I thought about getting a Garmin 500, but after weighing all the options, I went with the Joule 2.0. I realize there is a newer version of the Joule coming out soon, but after using the 2.0 for the last month, I think I'll keep it for a while.

The Powertap G3

My old SL+ hub weighed 412 grams. The new G3 hub weighs 325 grams. The overall outside diameter of the G3 is also a lot smaller and much more aero looking. The carbon windows that were on the old SL's have also been deleted. This was actually a minor problem as both my old hubs malfunctioned due to water getting into them through the carbon windows. Powertap repaired the issue on both free of charge, and honestly, that's the only issues I had with either.
The G3,s flanges are also wider, which will result in a stiffer, stronger wheel. Another benefit is that all the electronics are housed in the battery cover now, so if you have any issues, you can swap the cover or send it in instead of the whole wheel. The hub also uses a single 2032 battery instead of the 2- 357 batteries. The only issue that I've had so far is I've already gone through 2 batteries. I called the Powertap tech department and they said they had one other hub with the same issue and a new electronics cap corrected the problem and sent me a new one. Other than that, the hub has performed great. It spins very smooth and has a nice ratchet sound.

The Joule 2.0
Before I got the Joule, I was a little concerned that it was going to be a data overload type computer. After using it for a month, it's one of those things where I wonder how I ever used a power meter without it. In a nutshell, it's a VERY usefull training tool. I find myself changing the 6 available metrics on the dashboard for whatever type riding I'm doing. It's so much easier to plan a ride based on TSS and adjust during the ride as needed. The interval feature is much improved and very easy to see all intervals at one time. Very helpful when you're doing a lot and you lose count where you're at. Another feature I love is the ability to have a back light. I leave mine on all the time for now. Makes it nice on the commute home when it's dark.


All in all, a major improvement over the system I was using before and I'm very happy with both units.

No comments:

Post a Comment