Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Joe Martin wrap up

The last stage criterium was really painful, but I was able to stay in it. A couple of years ago, I got pulled with 5 laps to go I think. It's really a course where you have to be in a good position. If you find yourself in the very back, it's only a matter of time before you're off the back. I found myself towards the back several times during the race, so I would move up a few positions, but then a couple laps later, I'd be at the back again because the guys I passed got dropped. It's not a good way to race a criterium, but if you're not confident on every part of the course, it's very difficult to get into a "sweet spot" position, and it's even more difficult to stay there.
I started to feel pretty comfortable towards the end of the race, but once we hit 3 laps to go, the pace picked up pretty good and the field went single file and started to get a little strung out. I let a little gap open in front of me and that's all it took. I was able to finish on the lead lap and ended up with 45th.

In the overall GC Rob got 46th and I got 48th. Not much different than our last time here, but I'm pretty sure the overall field was harder this year. I feel pretty good about completing the whole race. There were a ton of very fast guys that got dropped at some point or DNFed. Luck is also an important element at this race and we were pretty fortunate this year with no crashes or mechanical problems.

I'm looking to get in a pretty easy recovery week, or at least the next few days. The last 3 weeks was one of my biggest 3 week builds of all time. Maybe the second biggest. Anyway, there's a TT and road race omnium this weekend in Shawnee, so I should have some awesome form.

No comments:

Post a Comment