Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Chandler Park race #1

The race on October 18th was at Chandler Park in Tulsa. I'd never been to this location for a cyclocross race before and its kind of a weird set up. The park is on the flat top part of a small mountain/large hill kind of thing, either way, its the perfect location for a cross race. Plenty of mountainbike trails, gravel trails, paved trails, open grass fields, and lots of wooded sections. The barriers seemed super high and overall, the course was very technical, hilly, and had the perfect mix of everything.

The weather was super nice also.


As with last weekend, the turnout was huge. I believe there were 32 riders in the A race.


Starts at cross races are always super fast and this one was no exception with a grass to gravel to paved trail right hand turn just ahead.

This is about 500 yards into the first lap. There is already a separation of about 6 riders ahead of this group. I wanted to start a little slower than I did last race to try to avoid blowing up, then having to slow down and recover. I got in here behind Will Gault thinking that would be a good pace to start with but, it was still a little too fast too early.


As usual the rest of the race was getting passed here or there as I tried to figure out the course and I caught and passed a few guys that went out harder than me and blew up. It took me most of the race to figure out the best and fastest lines around some of the tricky corners. I felt pretty good throughout the race and was pretty beat at the end. Cyclocross wears out your arms and back and by the time the hour is almost up, you're pretty much ready to be done. I finished somewhere right in the middle of the field. The results say 18th but there were a few guys that got lapped twice that accidentally got scored above me.

Coatney is getting really good at giving me drink hand-ups. She even managed to take a picture in the process of handing me a bottle!
Next weekend is the double crossed race Saturday and Sunday in Purcell. I'm probably only going to get to hit the Sunday race due to a big weekend of stuff to do.

There is another race at this venue on November 7th so hopefully I can make it and having some experience at the Chandler Park course is a must.







No comments:

Post a Comment