Monday, August 10, 2009

Record Miles July

I decided at the end of June that I'd pretty much used up my base miles bank and it was time to make a serious deposit if I wanted to salvage the rest of my season and have something to build upon for cyclocross season. My highest ever mileage month was in August of 2003 at 1238 miles, and it was time to make that the old record. Since there were 31 days in July, if I figured if I tried to average 40 miles per day that would give me 1240 miles. I could get 30-35 commuting during the week and get some long weekend rides in.

It got close at the end, but I set a new record with 1241!


I didn't really do any high intensity riding, just enduro pace and a lot of 10 minute tempo stuff.

I'm going to try to do the Hotter than Hell cat 1/2 crit on the 28th and the 100 mile 1/2 road race on the 29th. I did the Spin Your Wheels 100 mile ride last sat and felt pretty good all day. The next day I got a good 50 mile ride in. It was pretty rough at first, but Randy "crazy legs" Wyninnger was there causing havoc and baiting me to sprint to frequent points of interest. My high end power numbers were very close to my all time bests, so I'm very happy with that.

The latest deal is I'm getting a tandem bike and I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow! It's a super sweet Burley. Should be a lot of fun.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Joey. I'm unable to get in more than 50 hours/month and it shows in the longer races that's for sure. Best of luck at HHH.

    Akins

    ReplyDelete