Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Salty Cow Extravaganza Weekend


The races this past weekend went OK. Saturday was the Salt Creek Criterium. Things were going pretty uneventful at first. A break of 3 guys got off early on and got up to about 30 seconds on the field. It got down to around 4 laps to go and a couple of guys bridged up, so I figured I needed to try to chase or the race was pretty much over.
So on a positive note, I chased the group and caught them. I think thats the first time I've ever done that and not been blown.
Anyway, once I caught them, we had a decent gap with less than 3 laps to go. For some reason, most of the guys didn,t want to go hard anymore. So long story short, we got caught on the last lap and my legs were pretty smoked. I managed to get 7th.
Sunday was the Cowskin road race. I've never done this course before and after doing it all I can say is it was tough!
We started with 36 riders. A group of 3 guys took off early. The field kept them in sight and let them simmer in the wind and hills for about 30 miles. My teammates and myself (FOSS1L RACING) and Team Undiscovered decided to turn up the pace and bring the break in. The 3 guys were pretty cooked when we did.
By the 10th lap (we did 11 total-4.5 miles each) the field was down to about 12-15 riders. I think we lost 2-3 guys each time we hit the big hill. At this point, I'd have to say I was pretty much in survival mode. I got dropped for a bit on the last lap but a few other guys and myself bridged up and managed to make it for the sprint. My teamate Erin led me out and I got 4th.
All in all a fun weekend. My form is still pretty low right now, but my fitness is headed in the right direction.
Next stop: Hells Kitchen Arkansas

No comments:

Post a Comment