Saturday, June 9, 2012

Tulsa Tough day 2

Not a great day today. We had 135 riders today, and it definitely seemed like it. There's always a mad scramble to the start line as soon the previous race is over. I guess some guys took off a little to soon. Naturally, it caused a big chain reaction and everybody rushed to the start line. There were still a couple of girls on the course and the announcer guy pretty much reamed all the cat 1/2's. I'm not sure what they expect to happen. Maybe the race officials should work on staging control a little better. Especially when they overbook the race. Anyway, I started pretty close to the back. I was pretty much doing my normal try and find the best places to make moves and so on. I had gotten up into the top 30 or so, when I got caught up in my first crash of the day. I didn't go down, but I pretty much came to a stop. A bunch of guys got a free lap. I just kept going, but I lost at least 50 positions. The rest of the race was pretty uneventfull. I just tried to conserve and move up when it was easy. It started to get crazy the last 20 minutes. I almost crashed again with 8 laps to go. Some guy crossed over my front wheel and I got sideways and had to put a foot down, but I didn't crash. Right after we got past 6 laps to go, I was railing the outside of turn 1 trying to get some spots. As we came out of turn 2, there was a massive wreck and there was no way to avoid it. I got pretty lucky in that I went flying, but I landed on top of some guy so I didn't get any road rash. Just a few bruises and a mildly torn up, but still race able bike. The free laps stopped at 6 to go, so my day was over. Pretty disappointing. I'm gonna give the masters race a go tomorrow. It starts at 11:55.

No comments:

Post a Comment