Friday, April 27, 2012

Joe Martin stage race day 1

I have to admit, a few weeks ago, I wasn't super excited about this race. Not that I didn't want to do it, but I guess i was more or less indifferent about the race. Maybe it was because of the nervous not knowing what to expect like when we did this race for the first time in the 1/2's a couple of years ago, or maybe due to the fact that there's several crits in June that I'm pretty excited about.  Anyway, early this past week I started getting more pumped up about it. Also being in a race with a front row seat to all the Tilford-Waddell drama thats been going on seemed pretty intriguing.  We got here a couple hours before our start time, and got a good couple of runs up the course. The whole drama thing went out the window pretty quick when Steve Tilford crashed in a freak accident descending the course. I guess he got a front flat going 47 mph and jacked up his shoulder pretty good. Pretty big bummer.  So our results for the day were close to what they were last time we were here. Rob is in 41st, I'm in 75th, and Brian is sitting 103rd.  Personally I was hoping to go a little faster. The conditions were not great with a pretty good headwind for the last 3/4 of the TT. I did beat my best time by 12 seconds running a 10:29. I felt like I paced it about as good as possible, so I guess I'm happy with it.  Next stage:  110 mile road race with the big Mt. Gaylor climb towards the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment