Monday, May 24, 2010

Criterium state championship race



All I heard about in the week leading up to this race was how dangerous the course in Sand Springs was. I've never raced here before and I must admit I was a little concerned, but in the end, it was no big deal. The course definitely had some rough sections, but part of crit racing is finding the smooth lines. Pretty short course, maybe a little over a kilometer?


Just getting started. It was a semi-hot and humid day. I tried to start with my core as cool as possible by putting on wet, ice cold base layer just before we started. It seemed to work ok for most of the race. I seem to really struggle the hotter the weather gets and today was no different.



I felt ok for the first part of the race, but at around 15 minutes in, I broke a spoke and killed it trying to stay in the group to get back around to the wheel pit. The only real downfall to our Storck bikes is the rear entry dropouts. Not fun to try to get a wheel out and back in quickly.


Once I got back into the group the first lap was a preeme lap, so very fast, and I'm not sure if I had too much air in the tire of my spare wheel or the tire was really old, but it would not grip coming out of the corners. I started getting gaped a little and was only able to stay connected to the field for a few more laps.


I just rode solo TT style the rest of the race to get some good heat acclimation.


Not a very good race weekend, but I did like the course.







No comments:

Post a Comment