Monday, March 21, 2011

OKC TT #1 of 3 2011

As is usually the case, I didn't get my TT bike ready to go until around 10:30 PM the night before the event. I actually had it rideable 2 days before, just not fully prepped. Luckily, the bike feels very neutral and easy to ride. I'm fortunate to be able to use this bike this year. It's the Cervelo P4 that Steve used last year. The frame has a small crack in the top of the seat tube and has several small holes drilled in in to accept a Shimano DI2 system. The frame is fully functional and works great! About the only investment I have in the bike is the aero wheel covers for my powertap wheel.


 The course this year is a little different. It was the one PG-13 used on their TT series last year. The start/finish line is about 300 yards further in, and the turnaround is about 75 yards further out. My CPU showed it to be 7.91 miles
 I need to get to the race earlier next time. I only had about 30 minutes to warm up, which for me is not enough. My suffering buddy Rob Bell took this photo around 2 miles into my run.

 This is what it looks like overall on the power agent graph. The spike in the middle is the turnaround.Blue is speed, yellow is power, purple-torque, green-cadence, and red would be heart rate, but it lost the signal when I was putting up my trainer.
 The 1st 5 minutes seemed to be going well. I felt like I started pretty conservatively. Power was averaging around 320 watts, right at where I wanted to be going out.
 The 4 minutes before the turnaround, I started to lose focus and fade a little. I had forgotten to take off my knee warmers and just noticed as they were starting to slide down my legs. The little jump midway is where a car stopped in front of me and I had ease up for a second to figure out what they were going to do. Not too big a deal.
 The next 5 minutes were ok from a "keeping it steady" standpoint, but about 15-20 watts too low on power.
The last bit was ok. My overall power was 300 watts, and I ran a 17:26. Average speed was 27.16 MPH
That put me in 3rd place for the day in the cat 123 class. The only downfall was that the weather was about as good as it gets. All in all, a good baseline to start with.

1 comment:

  1. Great write up and congrats... though them knee warmers cost you a millisecond eh?

    regards,

    Akins

    ReplyDelete